在描述数据的增加或现象趋势的成长扩大时常会用到increase, grow, rise, climb, surge, soar, escalate, peak, expand, widen等动词，而为了修饰这些动作，我们可以依增长强弱快慢的程度不同使用slowly, slightly, steadily, gradually, moderately, abruptly, dramatically, sharply, steeply, rapidly, significantly, considerably, markedly, substantially, enormously等副词。另外，上述动词中如increase, rise, surge, soar, peak等也可作名词使用。
1. A noticeable increase in temperatures in the northern hemisphere is during winter nights.
2. The number of people using English as their second language will grow from 235 million to around 462 million during the next 50 years.
3. The demand of MT market is expected to grow exponentially.
4. There is a growing body of evidence that computer use can promote new ways of working together.
5. It seems highly unlikely that admission rates to university language departments in the United Kingdom will rise substantially in the next few years.
6. As the demand for translation has soared, so has there been a vast expansion in specialized translation programs at the postgraduate level.
7. There has been a surge in the popularity of these programs in the past 10 years
8. The relatively static population figures for Europe mean that this number will soon peak, and then gradually reduce during the next 50 years.
9. Said points out that while French and British were expanding their colonies, ideas about the colonized were also being formed.
10. The market for used cars continues to expand at the rate of about 3% annually, reaching some $42.7 million in 2017.
11. Cultural approaches have widened the horizons of translation studies with a wealth of new insights.
12. Translation is used as a cognitive tool in order to heighten awareness of language contrasts.
1. The number of … is projected to grow by more than …
2. What stands out in this table is the rapid increase in …
3. What is striking in this figure is the phenomenal growth of …
4. There was a statistically significant increase in …
5. There has even been a very slight increase in the number of …
6. …might progressively grow into …
7. … witnessed a surge of research on …
8. … has witnessed growing recognition of the importance of …
9. …has expanded massively over the years.
10. The scope of …needs to be broadened to take account of …