表达因果关系 (cause-effect/causal relationship) 的句型在学术论文中使用相当频繁，通常一个句子里就同时包含「因」(cause)和「果」(effect)，而在写作上可以视语义需要而强调「因」，或侧重「果」。在此节强调的为前者，重视的是「肇因、因为」等归因性的写法，常把造成某种现象的原因或理由写在because of the fact that, due to the fact that, as a result of, result from, follow from, in view of等词组之后。Arnaudet和Barrett (1990:102) 曾举例句如下：
Drastic changes in living pattern will result from/be a result of/be a consequence of/be due to/follow from changes in water levels.
1. Fossilization may be due to a lack of willingness to take risks.
2. It is easy to assume that success in any task is due simply to the fact that someone is motivated.
3. Successful mastery of the L2 will be due to a large extent to a learner’s own personal investment of time and effort.
4. Unreliability may result from the conditions in which the test is administered.
5. Successful interlanguage development is partially a result of utilizing feedback from others.
6. All these errors are attributable to negative interlingual transfer.
7. Behaviorist psychologists attributed two important characteristics to habits.
8. Since most learning strategies are mental operations and hence not directly observable.
9. This is done on the grounds that translated texts are not representative and that they might distort our view of the real language.
说明：ground除了作「土地」之外，也有「理由」的意思。而on the grounds that本身就是一常用的词组，等于for the reason that。本句中有两个that，其后接两个子句就代表两个理由。
1. …, resulting from/ following from ….
2. …are often caused by ….
3. ... is often mistakenly attributed to...
4. We commonly attribute ... to...
5. They attribute their success mainly to...
6. …are probably due to …
7. ... will be due to a large extent to...
8. This phenomenon appears to be due, in part, to the fact that …